Monday, October 23, 2006

A trip down Nostalgia Lane #1

I loved going to the video store as a child. The one in the shopping center right by my house had a great cartoon selection, with classics like Thundercats and Silverhawks.

I would rent the same tapes over and over again, but my most-rented video was, without question, Cartoon All-Stars to the Rescue, an anti-drug PSA from 1990 featuring every cartoon character worth a damn working together to get a teen off drugs. The Smurfs, the Ninja Turtles, Alf, Garfield, the Chipmunks, Winnie the Pooh, Bugs Bunny. The list goes on and on.

I certainly didn't rent it because of the message, but for the sensory overload of seeing all my favorites interacting on screen.

Thanks to YouTube, I can finally see the half-hour video again. (I tried multiple times to get it on ebay, but didn't want to pay more than $20.)

The video is at turns hilarious (the first line is "Morning already? I was smurfing like a baby.") and absurd (George Sr. and Barbara Bush introduce the film, and nerdy Simon explains to the others about, "marijuana, an unlawful substance used to experience artificial highs.").

Simply put, this is choice viewing whether you watched it as a kid or not.









No comments: