Friday, November 03, 2006

Scatter-Shot at CMJ

Red Hot Chili Peppers at Northsix

I was walking by Northsix in Williamsburg last night around 3 a.m., coming home from the Annuals show (all hype, fyi), when I heard some monster bass lines making their way out to the street. I walked up to the unguarded door and peeked inside. About 20 people were standing around trying to look bored, but there were five onstage looking anything but.

The Red Hot Fucking Chili Peppers baby! Booyah!

They opened up with "Give it Away" and got the crowd, or at least me, really into an awesome rock mood.

The highlight of the show was when Anthony sent the band offstage, took an acoustic guitar and played a more spectacular version of "Under the Bridge" than I even thought was possible, and this is coming from a guy who has seen RHCP at least a dozen times. It was both earth-shattering and heart-shattering, which makes sense because those words use the same letters.

If I had to use any letters to describe the show it would be L-O-V-E. You guys have got to check out the latest RHCP, Californication. Hit after hit after #1 hit.

This is my favorite part of CMJ, when I catch a secret show from a band I don't expect to see. Last year it was Elton John, but this year was better.

Here's some video I caught of the show with my phone camera:

No comments: